An Open Secret
I've posted here many, many times that I want to be a writer...but I know that part of being a writer, besides making questionable updates on a blog hidden in plain sight, is willfully joining a community. And in the spirit of trying to join a community AND have some sort of reason for being in Arizona other than "just visiting Mom and sis", I have flirted with the idea of taking classes at the Virginia G Piper Center for Creative Writing. (I have also strongly considered becoming a member of AFA too but their events are too infrequent.) Still, I will probably join at the Associate Level.)
When it was first founded, VGP center created an annual conference (Desert Nights, Rising Stars) but I didn't think I wanted to participate in a group of any writers in person. Now, they have this innovative program Your Novel Year which spans 18 months and would allow me to participate online and when needed, I could go to AZ to attend different things.
It would be the nexus of the AZ, creativity, ASU and 'house turned into a creative center' idea. A perfect middle ground for Mom me and perfect for deflecting her desire to consume me whole with her dreams (this is what you get for not giving her blood grand children). I could have my own dream, my own brain child separate from hers. Key to perhaps managing the narrative between us.
![]() |
| Write epic tales about Ricky's life and times |
It seems pursing the Ray Bradbury initiative would be right up this alley as I need to have 20-25 pages of writing sample. Not surprisingly, they have a cohort specifically geared toward science fiction and Ray Bradbury is on the certificate reading list.
Still to be addressed in post retirement is my ability to turn the 'office' back into a guest room study. More on THAT later.
Labels: post retirement stewardship

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home